“Trees Please Pledge” & 2022 Election Toolkit
During Winnipeg’s 2022 civic election season, the Trees Please Winnipeg Coalition wants to see as many mayoral and council candidates to sign on to the “Trees Please Pledge”!
What is The Trees Please Pledge?
Candidates are being urged to commit to the following actions that are urgently needed to protect and grow the urban canopy:
1. Plant: For every 1 public tree lost, the city should be replanting at least 2 new trees, and watering those trees adequately so they survive & thrive
2. Maintain: Fund a 7-year pruning cycle (the industry standard)
3. Protect: Require that tree protection best practices be incorporated into all construction projects to prevent damage and loss of trees
How You Can Help
We encourage everyone who cares about the urban forest to contact candidates running in your ward to tell them this is a priority for you, and ask them to commit to the Trees Please Pledge.
We have some tools to help you do that!
- Step-by-step strategy guide for meetings
- Powerpoint presentation
- 2-page handout (contains general Trees Please info and the Candidate Pledge – can be give out at community events, etc.)
- Public tree data by ward/neighbourhood
Questions? Get in touch at treespleasecoalition [at] gmail.com.